Question : Slow Fileshare

I have a file server that is a P4 2.4ghz, 1gb of DDR, a 120gb serial ATA HD and a 10/100 intel NIC.

I also have 5 other computers on the network that access this file server. All computers have 10/100 NICS and are running through a Linksys workgroup switch.

When we work, we work off files directly on the fileserver without copying them to our hard drive.

Most of the time, 1-3 of use are experiencing major lag time to open, save or even scroll through a file. The files can be anything from ASP files opened in dreamweaver mx to VB files opened in Visual Studio to a word document.

We have tried different switches, different cables and have not been able to get the lag to go away.

Any ideas?

Answer : Slow Fileshare

right..The FIRST thing to check Is the PCs has Valid DNS server in its Connection Properties, if you have a DNS on the network.

hope you got SP1 on the xp boxes.

Windows XP automatically searches the network for shares and printers upon connecting to the network.  To disable XP automatic discovery:
In Explorer, click Tools
Click Folder Options
Click the View tab,
Uncheck Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers in Advanced settings list.

i think you dont have 2k domain but just for info
Slow SMB Performance When You Copy Files from Windows XP to a Windows 2000 Domain Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321169

Antoher option, first backup the registry key and thendelete the key, In the regedt32 registry editor navigate to the NameSpace key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace/{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Right click {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
Click Export. From the Export Registry File dialog box in the File Name text box :
Type the filename of your choice as in restoreshare
Click Save
This saves the file names (in my example), restoreshare.reg to the My Documents folder. Its now safe to delete the key.
Right click {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
Click Delete
Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us