Question : Cable arrangements for phone and ADSL modem router (UK)

I just wondered if you can offer some advice on cabling. How close can you place the BT phone cable and the DSL cable to the modem router?

I am using a Thompson Speedtouch 576 and it is sharing a filter with a BT answer phone. I bought some trunking because the cables were a real mess.

I have the phone and DSL cables very close, in some trunking and they over-lap several times. They are kept away from the DC power lines to an answer machine and the modem router. Does it make any difference how you places the data and phone cables next to each other? I am on a UK connection. I was worried there might be some kind of interference picked up between the cables but to be honest I am not sure.

Just one more thing..I accidentally plugged the ADSL cable into the Ethernet port of the modem router, and it temporarily disabled all the phones in the house..could I have I done any damage to the router or the filter?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Answer : Cable arrangements for phone and ADSL modem router (UK)

Hi,

I don't think there should be any permanent damage as your dealing with quite low voltages but some equipment can be sensitive. However if everything is working fine now then you should be ok.

As for you cables it should be ok, however if you do encounter issues with connectivity/speed you can either replace you master socket with one that has a built in filter or wait for a device called the iplate which BT should be launching in the next few months for about £10. This eliminates any interference on your dsl.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us