Question : T1 line only getting 200kb/s download rate

Hi guys,

I have a T1 line at work and it is getting really low speeds. I have access to a report function provided by my provider that shows the bandwidth utilization. It shows that we have only been using 1.5-2.5% of the total available bandwidth. I'm wondering why I can not download faster than 200kb/s from the Internet. I'm not familiar with T1 lines or how our network is setup for that, I just took over this network a while ago and I'm trying to deal with these issues. Where should I start looking?

I have a Sonic Firewall that I'm not really familiar with.

Before I contact my provider, I wanted to ask here as you guys are probably faster and more helpful than they can ever be!

Thanks,
Primus

Answer : T1 line only getting 200kb/s download rate

While a single T1 is limited to 1.5m, carriers offer higher bandwidths using a "bonded T1" configuration. Essentially it's a number of T1 lines bunched together to act like a single larger pipe, which I'd guess is what you've got. The carriers generally don't let on that there is a difference between this bonded configuration and an actually larger single 5MB pipe. However, most bonded T configurations could only actually achieve the larger claimed bandwidth if you added a number of concurrent transfer rates together. Reason being, and the most likely reason you get a less-than-5m throughput on your transfer tests, is that any individual transfer is limited to traversing one of the T1s in the bundle at a time. If you run multiple simultaneous transfers to different sites you should get roughly the same rate on 4 or 5 transfers at once that you would get on one at a time, as long as their balancing method in their CPE (customer premise equipment, such as their on-site DSU or router) is working properly. They usually configure for a per flow balancing method (think of a flow as a conversation between two hosts on a unique pair of TCP or UDP ports), or less attractively a per IP or block of IP balancing method (less attractive if more than one of you may be conencting to one site, meaning you'd all get stuck sharing one of the T1s in the bundle).

To get past that limitation, you either need "per packet load balancing" turned on in the CPE (usually a bad idea, can cause a number of apps to work erratically), a fractional T3, or some other large single pipe carrier connection.

How's that? :)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us