Question : Exchange Server Latency/Bandwidth Minimum

I was wondering if anyone knew about the absolute minimum bandwidth and latency there should be between an Outlook Client and it's Exchange Server using the standard protocol (MAPI?) not POP3 or SMTP. I've ran it on a link that was 192 Kbps with almost a whole second of delay for 32 bytes of data round trip. It was horrendously slow! I have also ran it on a dialup that got 19.2 Kbps and that too was slow, although I think a tad faster. I assume the main problem was the delay and not the bandwidth. Shouldn't a 192 Kbps pipe be ok for MAPI assuming normal latency? I'm wondering how good the speed would be on a T1 with about 70ms delay. I also had a mapped network drive over that link which also was slow, so I figure Microsoft has a problem writing efficient protocols considering surfing and ftp was decent, especially comaprativly speaking. Any ideas or comments?

Answer : Exchange Server Latency/Bandwidth Minimum

I too was having problems with the slowness of connectivity between an outlook client and exchange, as well as with mapped drives.

My solution.....  DNS and/or Gateway.  On your dialup TCP/IP properties, Advanced, is the box checked to use the remote gateway??   Do you have a hosts entry and/or LMHosts entry for your mail server???

I got some speed and reliability in checking the box to use the remote gateway and making an entry in the Hosts and LMHosts for the mail server.  Over my broadband links though, I got the biggest speed increase and most stability out of making an entry in the TCP/IP properties of the connection by putting in the remote DNS server first and then the local ISP's DNS server second.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us