Question : Computers can't see each other on the same workgroup. Networked with wireless linksys router.

This problem is really bugging me now. The problem is this:

I recently purchased a new laptop with wireless built in. I also got a linksys wireless router to set up a wireless network. Unfortunately i have a dial-up internet connection as i can;t get broadband, and i want to share this dial-up connection over the wireless network. The dialup connection has to be on my desktop PC and not direct to the laptop docking station so that i can share over the wreless network (i.e. my desktop sits in the corner and acts as a server sharing internet and all files and folders over the network).

Now the really irritating thing is that i have had the setup working briefly, until i undocked my laptop and when i came back, it stopped working.

When i go to "My Network Places" on my laptop, i see the folders i had shared on the desktop before it stopped working. When i try to open a folder i get the error "\\Server\\SharedDocs is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource...". I do have permissions set correctly as i have not changed any permission settings since it was working, so i presume this error is caused by facts that my laptop cannot see my desktop.

When trying to view all computers in workgroup on both laptop and desktop, the only computer to appear is itself.

When the connection was working, i was able to sahe the internet connection using "Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing". This has however, also stopped working.

Both computers are running Win XP Pro. The setup is as follows:

Laptop - Wi-Fi card
Laptop when Docked - Wi-FI card and Ethernet connection to Router
Dekstop - USB WI-FI adapter

I have tried turning off firewalls, i have checked computer names do not conflict and are on the same workgroup, IP addresses do not conflict, I have run the network setup wizard numurous times with no effect.

Any help appreciated

Answer : Computers can't see each other on the same workgroup. Networked with wireless linksys router.

what firewalls are involved? did you turn off the built in one on XP?

on boht machnes go to a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all >c:\ip.txt
then open windows explorer, navigate to C: and find ip.txt
open in notepad and copy and paste the contents here (from both machines, let us know which is which)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us