Question : All of a sudden network share asking for a guest password.

I set up a SOHO microsoft network with five computes. My "Server" is running XP pro. Up until last night everything was working fine, file and internet connection sharing. For some reason, my server prompted for a the Guest password .... which I had never assigned and the account was disabled anyway. I disovered that the account was enabled and had a password assigned.  After clearing the password and disbling Guest, things went back to normal. The same thing happened on my other xp pro machine.

I am baffled. I have Zonealarm running on all the computers. I also have a router connected to each of the two nics on my server. I thought I has a reasonably secure network but now I am not so sure ... was I hacked?????

I almost seems like someone is telling me I have a problem with security .... but I am not sure what to do about it.

Answer : All of a sudden network share asking for a guest password.

Hi,

If you have IIS on your workstation, then this is where the anonymous logon is going on. Normally, if you make sure to add users to folders, then you will need to log on to see the info, no more anonymous access..

Still believe this is a Microsoft buggie thingy..
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us