Question : DNS Issue - Windows 2003/2008 Domain

I have a domain with 3 Domain Controllers all of which have DNS running in Active Directory Integrated mode.

I uninstalled DNS from Server #1 (it's still a DC), removed it from the Name Servers tab in DNS, and reconfigured static clients/servers.

When I run NSLOOKUP, it shows the correct DNS server. But when Im in nslooup and type in the full domain name, it still lists Server #1.

I went back into DNS Manager and verified that there are no NS records for Server #1 nor is it listed in the Name Servers tab.

There must be some left over data for this DNS zone in Active Directory, but I have no idea where to look or how to remove it.

Server 1 is a Windows 2003 R2 Domain Controller
Server 2 is a Windows 2008 Domain Controller with DNS
Server 3 is a Windows 2008 Domain Controller with DNS

Domain is currently running in Windows 2003 function level

Answer : DNS Issue - Windows 2003/2008 Domain

I'm pretty sure that nslookup does not consult the client cache - it directly queries records on the primary (or specified) DNS server.

Are you saying that NSLOOKUP is listing an NS record for the old server, or that it's trying to query the old DNS server? Have you removed the old DNS server from the clients DNS config. By default NSLOOKUP qill try to query the primary DNS server.

Also if you are querying just 'domain.com' in nslookup it can return any IP address of any DC. These are the (same as parent) Host A records and there is one for each DC. These are call LdapIPAddress records and are used by legacy client who can't query SRV records to find DCs. So if this is the case, this is normal, as the old DNS server is still a DC.

Let me know if I have misunderstood. Maybe you could post the command and the output of nslookup so we can be certain.

Tony

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us