Question : Implemeting VoIP and QoS

I am doing VoIP using Asterisk PBX, and using a softphone on my PC. Asterisk states that ports 5060 and 10000-20000 are needed for the phone system. So in my Buffalo router running Tomato firmware, I have prioritized this traffic as "Highest" with everything else "Lowest" (including BitTorrent). The problem is that when I am surfing the web and pages are being pulled up the voice quality suffers for me ... as well as my colleague. And it really sounds horrible if I am downloading something on BitTorrent. Since the softphone runs on the same PC as my browser, I felt the only way to do VoIP QoS was by port number and NOT by IP address.  

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Is it just that QoS is broken with Tomato firmware (in the QoS sense, I hear that Tomato is way better than DD-WRT).  I would also be willing to buy a new router that would fix the problem if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Implemeting VoIP and QoS

If torrents are messing up VOIP with the QOS set, then yes the Buffalo is not up to the task.

The Buffalo as a WAP only will work and not mess up VOIP remember to not use the WAN jack.  You can spring for a few more dollars and get the 2910g which has 54Mbps G (range is so-so).

The settings on the router for QOS and bandwidth management only have effect on the WAN.  The router is incapable of managing internal bandwidth use or QOS.  Even on 100Mbps internal LAN your VOIP will only use a small fraction of the total bandwidth of the LAN.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us