Question : Windows loopback IP

Hey folks,

I need a loopback IP on windows (other than 127.0.0.1) so that when a connection is made to it, it is sent back as though it is a connection being made from another machine.

I looked into using the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, but I don't think this is what I want as you assign an IP to the adapter - and it does loopback... but since the adapter (configured with the IP) can be seen by Windows... the service I'm trying to connect perceives this as a connection from localhost and denies it.

So I'm after recommendations on how to perform a real loopback on windows that will work... I'm thinking maybe create a fake network of 172.16.255.252 with netmask of 255.255.255.252, put my machine on 172.16.255.253 and target a fake machine on 172.16.255.254 which will just forward data to 172.16.255.253... somehow?

--- For those of you who want to know why... but it doesn't matter... but some of you may ask ---

Cutting a long story short... I tunnel a remote desktop (RDP) session in to my windows box via SSH.  But the "Terminal Server" service won't accept incoming connections that look like it's coming from localhost.

So instead of targeting my tunnel at localhost/127.0.0.1/own ip/own hostname/etc... (none of which work), I'd like to target it at this pseudo fake IP that will loopback making it look like it came from another machine not from itself.

I do not require alternative recommendations on remotely accessing this machine or tunnelling techniques.

Answer : Windows loopback IP

After playing around with that stuff it will not work.  It does not see to work for your purposes.  It is designed to talk to either a virtual OS or a virtual device (such as a Windows CE based device).

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us