Question : Static IP Conflict - Need to release a static IP I cannot see or ping on the network

My computer (running windows XP with the latest updates) has always had the IP of 10.0.0.5. I restarted the computer tonight and when I tried to login to the domain I was told that another computer on the network had taken my IP address. This has never happened before. I have tried a repair, I have looked at the arp tables, I have reset my switches, I have rebooted my router, I have done everything I can think of to release the 10.0.0.5 address but have been unsuccessful. I have also tried to switch another computer on my network to 10.0.0.5 but each computer says that the static IP has been taken. My question is, what does windows XP look at when finding an IP is already in use, (as it definitely does not just PING for that IP) and how can I release that IP when I can't even ping it?

Some facts:
DHCP is run by a linksys router but has a minimum IP of 10.0.0.100 so this should not effect the 10.0.0.5 IP
When I try to ping 10.0.0.5 I get 'host is unreachable'
Using the IP of 10.0.0.6 I am able to login to the domain and access the internet

**** I need to get the 10.0.0.5 IP back as I have all other computers on the network sending their snmp traps to this IP so just switching to another IP is NOT an option ****

I need this working ASAP!!  Thanks!

Answer : Static IP Conflict - Need to release a static IP I cannot see or ping on the network

Not sure how Windows checks the IP...

Any changes to your server, to your network before the problem started?

The fact that you have local area connection 3 (now 4) indicates that your system has had more than one network card in the past, or has had the NIC replaced.  This combined with the fact that you can disable the card, assign the IP, and reenable the card so things works; indicates that the problem is a 'shadow' NIC on your system trying to use the IP.  However the fact that you can shut the server down and the problem follows you to another computer says the problem is on your network... strange.

I think this could be caused by a faulty switch, if the switch is not clearing it's ARP table it may think there is a system with that IP out there even if there isen't.  If you have a spare switch try replacing the one you have.

You can also try uninstalling all network services from Windows (use the Windows CD to add remove components).  BACK THINGS UP FIRST
Then reinstall the network services.

The only way to find the problem I can think of is to physicaly disconnect systems untill the problem goes away.

eb
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us