Question : can't log into centos shell with putty over ssh

Hi

I have a centos VM that I'm using as a dev server to which I can connect using both dreamweaver and winscp over sftp. When the vm is freshly launched I can ssh into the bash shell using putty but oftne I find that after a while of working the putty client no longer connect, displaying the error:

network error: connection timed out.

I used to think that this only happened after my laptop (which runs vista as the host os) was woken up after going to sleep. So I disabled sleep altogether and this evening it's just happened again. I know I can get it back by just closing down and relaunching the centos VM, but this is too time consuming and it's been going on too long. Can anyone suggest what steps I should take to remedy it?

thanks in advance

Answer : can't log into centos shell with putty over ssh

I did the traceroute and found that it was fine and then tried again by using the IP address of the VM (192.168.0.193) as the target for my putty session and it worked using the loopback. I've no idea why it didn't work before but I did reset the laptop at some point so looks like it's something intermittent. Hopefully not. anyway thanks for your help.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us