Question : Configuring DHCP Reservations in Superscopes on same subnet

Hi..after reading a bit on DHCP I would like to make some changes to our current setup. It's currently installed on 2 Domain Controllers, but only activated on one. There are some reservations setup (not between the scope addresses), and a scope scope between x.x.x.100 and x.x.x.254.

First of all I want to move DHCP to a member server and create a Superscope with the existing scope, and add another scope on another server for redundancy purposes. I will reduce the original scope to x.x.x.100 - x.x.x.180 and create a second scope for x.x.x.181 - x.x.x.254. Exclude all address in that scope on the main dhcp server. Then add both scopes to the second dhcp server, but exclude the x.x.x.100 - x.x.x.180 on that server.

My question is, how do I configure the reservations? The first server has reservations between x.x.x.80 and x.x.x.89. Do I add these reservations to the scope on the second server with address pool x.x.x.181 - x.x.x.254 or will this cause problems? I would just like to have it setup in a way that if the main dhcp server goes down, the devices with reservations will still get there same reserved address.

cheers

Answer : Configuring DHCP Reservations in Superscopes on same subnet

Having the same reservations on both servers is fine.

Problems arise when issuing dynamic addresses because one server doesn't keep track of addresses issued by any other server, so it would be possible to associate one IP address with more than one requesting devices - which is bad :) - hence the need to split ranges.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us