Question : Prevent moving of folders in directory tree

(I don't think there is a better answer for this, but I need to be sure)

I have a client who uses a basic file sharing setup on a Win2K3 server.  They create a _bunch_ of new folders and documents everyday.  This is what the structure looks like:

Shared
          #
            1-999
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
            1000-1999
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
            2000-2999
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)
                    (documents)

and so on and so on, up to currently 5500 or so.

What is happening, is that someone will invariably 'slip', and when meaning to double click on '2000-2999' to open up that tree, they accidentally drag it somewhere else (like under the 1000s, for example).  I then get a panicked phone call saying they have 'lost' 1000 folders.

Currently, every user has rights to create a folder under the 'main' headings (ie 1000, 2000, etc).

I am thinking the only way to fix this is to designate one (or two) users as 'creators' who can then make the sub-folders, and then assign full rights to those sub-folders.

So:

In the 1000-1999 folder, users would have 'Read' rights, but the 'Creators' would have full rights.
Then the Creator would make folder 1432, and then assign full rights to that particular folder.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

TN

Answer : Prevent moving of folders in directory tree

moving is simply copying and then deleting.  In order to prevent folders from being moved you would have to deny the NTFS special permission "delete folder" to the users on the parent folder security tab.  You would also have to deny the NTFS special permission "create folder" to all the possible destinations.

If you only deny the "delete folder" special permission, then users will be prompted that windows could not complete the move, but the copy would have already taken place.  you would then have the folder in both the original and target destinations.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us