Question : XP and Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.6

Hi,
I have a Linksys wireless router and the WUSB11 wireless adapter. We have the same adapter installed on a W2000 Pro machine, and 2 laptops with the PCMCIA card adapter. The LAN is alive and well.

I am unable to successfully install the WUSB11 ver. 2.6 on a Dell Inspiron 4100 Notebook running Windows XP Home SP1. All available MS Critical Updates for XP are installed. Following the directions for installing on XP, the install process goes as indicated in the instructions but does not complete successfully. The following message results at the end of the install process (Paraphrasing):
There was an error installing the device.
The specified file could not be found.

It does not indicate what file it is looking for, nor does it ask for the location of the file.
At the beginning of the install process it is necessary to point the install process to "D:Drivers" in order to begin, and after that it runs and never indicates any problem finding files until the very end.

All available MS Critical Updates for XP are installed.
What might we do in order to successfully install this device?
I might add that the laptop surfs fine over ethernet cable to the hub on the Linksys wireless router. And we were able to successfully install the WUSB11 to a Windows 2000 Pro desktop and surf.

Also, the XP instructions with the adapter specify not to use the setup program on the CD, but to let XP detect the device and install the driver from the CD.

Thanks, Bill

Answer : XP and Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.6

here's what i would do... do an uninstall of the device and then unplug the device... delete the drivers in the inf directory either under windows or winnt directory... (you will need to find out what the name of the drivers are) with them no longer available windows will request from media...

sometimes i even go to the run folder in the regisry and ensure that the "call" to start the program is deleted as well... anywhere where the drivers are called would be a safe delete...

I have seen this problem when people install the drivers from the cd and then upgrade them from the .exe from the website... Regarding linksys, you need to speak with a very technical person, not just the first person that answers the phone... you'll get nowhere.

if you formatted the system everything would be fine as well (if it takes you 10 hours to troubleshoot, spend 3 to backup and format and reinstall!)

hope that helps...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us