Question : Connection to Wireless Broadband Automatically - not automatic

I introduced this question some time ago, but it failed to get solved. Eventually I had it deleted. Now the same problem (which had arisen when I was in England) has occurred in the USA and it is driving me crazy.

My System: Dell Inspiron 1501,  OS is Windows XP Home Edition.

When I start up my computer I am unable to connect  automatically to the wireless network. available to me. I have to perform the following actions before being connected. 1. I click 'Control Panel'. 2. I click  'Administrative Tools'. 3. I click 'Component Services'. 4. I click 'Services (Local)'. 5. I click 'Wireless Zero Configuration service'. 6. I click 'START'. 7. I close down all windows and click 'Control Panel.'  8. I click 'Network Connections'. 9. I open the 'Properties' of the 'Wireless Network Connection,'  10. I click 'Wireless Connections' tab. 11. I tick the box 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network connections'. And so I am connected.    (It is interesting that the 'Wireless Connections' tab will not appear as one of the 'properties' of the 'Wireless Network Connection'  unless the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' service is Started).   Every time I shut down and restart my computer I have to REPEAT ALL THESE STEPS to get connected.  How can I arrange it so that it will connect automatically every time I start up?

Answer : Connection to Wireless Broadband Automatically - not automatic

You can determine if it is being caused by another app by temporarily disabling all of the trivial startup apps and services.  This can be easily accomplished using msconfig: click Start, Run, type "msconfig" and hit enter.  From the Services tab, click the box at the bottom to hide MS services, then disable all remaining services.  On the Startup tab, disable all items.  Now reboot, set the wireless settings as you outlined, then see if they persist across the next reboot.  If so, you can begin systematically re-enabling services and startup items until you find the one that causes the issue... and disable it.

Regards,
PfSC
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us