Question : SNMP and Switches

Hi All-

Currently I have the task of setting up SNMP on all of our company's switches. I've done my research on SNMP, but I am still left with questions. First off, I need to monitor about 10-15 switches (Cisco, Netgear, and Summit). I have enabled the SNMP service and SNMP trap service on a Windows 2000 server. On the server I have set permissions and community names and added all the switches IP addresses to the agent list so the host will accept packets from them respectively. In all of the switches web browser interfaces I have configured them to send traps to the windows 2000 server and set the community names and permissions to correspond to SNMP service and SNMP trap service configurations.

What am I missing? Do I need a 3rd party SNMP management application to bridge the gap between the SNMP service and the devices? If so, could you please point me in the right direction. Does Microsoft have any management tools? Is there any open source softaware out there? or inexpensive software?  I'm not really interested in writing my own management software unless someonce can point me in the direction of some 'plug and chug' code. I'm under a real time constraint.

Please be detailed in your responses and suggestions for this is foreign land to me....

Thanks in advance...

Answer : SNMP and Switches

i dont know about microsoft. But you can use softwares like JFFNMS, OPENNMS.
for stats you can use MRTG. A better and less bandwidth hungry way would be to use logging on the switches and to send the logs to your windows machine. The windows  box would beed to have a syslog server (Kiwi Syslog would do).
Else if you're willing to purchase something, you can goto solarwinds.net

evaluation versions are available there as well.

Hope it helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us