Question : Considering Bonded T1 over Cable.  Thoughts?

Hello everyone!  We've recently been approched by a couple companies (XO Communications is one of them), offering Bonded T1s, VOIP, etc.  We are currently utilizing Cable service from RoadRunner.  Will the bonded T1 (at 3Mbps upload/download), be faster for us than the 3-5Mbps download(not sure which right now), and probably 768k upload offered by cable?  And will it provide any other benefits?

We are an engineering firm with approximately 85 machines at one site.  Clients upload files to our FTP, we upload to theirs.  Lots of AutoCAD users, with large drawings on 2 file servers.  Users browsing, some streaming music, etc.  

Also, if we did decide to go with the T1 service, I have a question about their modem and router (I think they are providing both).  Right now we are using a "suited-for-home-use" Linksys router, but I want to upgrade to a SonicWall, NetScreen, or something else that offers much more security and configurability.  I shouldn't have any problem just tying that in to their router correct?

Sorry guys, I just don't know too much about T1s.

Thank you very much!

Answer : Considering Bonded T1 over Cable.  Thoughts?

Hi redmanjb,

First of all, do not go Sonicwall.  You'll end up switching.  Go with Cisco Pix...you'll never be disappointed.  Dollar for Dollar a pix + smartnet contract is a smidge more expensive than a sonicwall + svc contract.  When you're talking engineering firm of 85+, this is peanuts for a world of difference.  You will end up taking out your existing router (Linksys) and replacing it with a Cisco PIX (maybe Pix 515e).  You can nat, you can VPN, you can control port traffic (via access-lists), you can have full control of logging and auditing facilities, you can DMZ, and best of all, you can work with Cisco.    Another feature of Pix is that it allows you to hand off static nats without adding more interface cards if you needed to translate public ip's to privates.  Pix is a piece to a very scalable network infrastructure that will grow with your needs.If you're new to this, Cisco will help you configure your firewall (initial setup in Smartnet contract).  Need I say more?

Secondly, if you have a 3 MB download on a cable connection versus 3 MB connection of a B-T1, there's no difference in download speed.  3MB=3MB  :-)
The problem might arise when comparing costs.  I'm going to assume you pay around $300-$350 for cable, but for dual T1 svc it's probably more than double after you include all taxes...especially in Texas  :-)
On the subject of upload speeds, if you're uploading tons of data, that may be the deciding factor.  It's up to you to figure that one out.

Please split the points

thank you
rc
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us