Question : No Route To Host Pix error

I have my Pix connected to the inside switch and outside switch.  The router e1 ip is 192.168.20.1 and the pix outside IP is 192.168.20.3 and the Pix inside is 192.168.1.1. I have the route outside 0 0 192.168.20.1 statement in the Pix and when I try to ping the router it tells me there is no route to host.  I put the ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.3 config in the router and get the same error.  Any advice on this?

Answer : No Route To Host Pix error

So this is your network layout? (Please Confirm...)

Router-E1/192.168.20.1 -------(Switch)-------- 192.168.20.3 / PIX / 192.168.1.1 -------(Switch)-------- INSIDE NETWORK

- Can you ping the PIX/.3 interface from the RouterE1?  
- On the router, do a "show IP interface brief" and confirm that all interfaces are UP/UP
- On the PIX, do a "sho interface" and confirm the interface is also up
- Confirm that the switch is not using VLANs, and if it is that this is not causing the issue
    - To test that the switch is not the issue, put a crossover cable between router/pix to test direct connection

> I have the route outside 0 0 192.168.20.1 statement in the Pix and when I try to ping the router it tells me there is no route to host.

This default route would not impact the communication directly between the router's interface and the PIX's interface.  This is because they both know how to get to each other (they are on the same network).  The default route only matters when the PIX encounters a packet destined for an address that it does not know how to get to - it essentially says to the PIX "when you don't know what to do with something, send it to this address"

If the router and pix are correctly linked/connected, and properly addressed (with the correct subnet masks) you don't have to add any routes to have the hosts talk to each other.

Thanks,

Justin

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us