Question : Server backbone or Teamed Nics?

Installing(tomorrow!) a new Oracle data server, a Dell 2650 w/ 2 -gibabyte NICS.  Also on the network are 2 Dell 2550's ( Citrix farm) and 2 2550's for utility servers, (domain controllers, DNS, backup, etc.)  The 2550's have 1 gigabyte nic and 1 10/100 nic. We will use a Dell switch w mostly 10/100 ports and an HP 6108 8 port gbyte switch.     I am promoting establishing a gigbyte server backbone to separate the database traffic from the citrix and other ip traffic.  Our system has always had excessive latency, which is why we are adding the new oracle box which will be now be exclusively for Oracle.  My plan is configure the gigabyte Nics in each server with their own subnet, and establish a hosts file with the servers in it with their backbone ip address.  Another Nic (10/100 in the 2550's) will be configured in our intranet for all other traffic, running on DNS.  Since the servers will check the hosts file for name resolution first, this should put the server to server traffic on the separate subnet.  All other computers will use DNS(active directory based) as always.  Does anyone see any problems with this arrangement that I am overlooking?  Would I be better off adding gigabyte nics to the citrix servers and teaming the two nics on the same subnet(our internet)??  Thanks for your advice!

Answer : Server backbone or Teamed Nics?

This is just my take -

Server LAN's are good and get rid of useless workstation traffic and aid backups greatly.
Make sure that you don't enable to option to put the backbone NIC's in as DNS or thing will go pear shaped fast!

Unless all the other server are dual Gb nic then you won't get any performace boost out of the dual config.
If you have the spare gig cards, I'd team the Gig cards but put them in failover mode to build in fault tolerance. Helps you sleep better at night :-)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us