Question : Trouble Adding Secondary Domain Controler

We have our PDC as a Windows 2000 Server. There are many problems with it. To many to try to fix. The hardware isn't that great either, so sence we just got some brand new boxes, ide like to start out fresh.

I already have Server 2003 Installed on the new box, and it is on the same network as the 2000 Server. What I'm trying to do is to make the 2003 Server a Domain Controler for the same domain that the 2000 Server is in. Then from there, I can copy all of the schools user accounts over. Also their exchange e-mail containers. Then trash the stupid server.

My Problem is that I get a DNS error when I try to add the 2003 Server to the 2000 Domain. Originally, we were using DHCP through our LinkSyS router, which obviously assaigned a DNS server from our ISP (this was how it was set up when I first tried adding the Domain Controler). Then, on the 2000 Server, I set up a DNS (which I had no clue how to do, I just clicked next/yes/ok/etc.). I pointed the 2000 Servers DNS to itself and the 2003 Server to the 2000 Server. So now, they are both using the 2000 Servers DNS. The internet works fine, I can ping both computers from both computer fine,      B U T...

THIS IS THE PROBLEM, when I go to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Configure Server (this is on the 2003 Server), I then click on "Domain Controler (Active Driectory)", then Next, then Next. Then it opens the Active Directory Installation Wizard. Then I can choose between making a DC for a new Domain or for an existing. I obviously choose the second option. Click next. Then it asks me for a Username and Password and Domain. I put in the username and password, and then www.westernchristian.org (our domain) for the domain. I immediately get this error:

--------------------------------------------------------------
An Active Directory domain controler for the domain
www.westernchristian.org could not be contacted.

Ensure the that DNS name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct, click details for troubleshooting.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the details:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain www.westernchristian.org:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.www.westernchristian.org

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a domain controller for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a domain controller is added to a domain. They are updated by the domain controller at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

www.westernchristian.org
westernchristian.org
org
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, 192.168.1.100 is the PDC for www.westernchristian.org. Its (netBIOS I guess) name is western. 192.168.1.50 is the 2003 Server. Its name is wcsclar.

Also, FYI, when I put in some random domain, like www.poop87976789789.com, it takes about ten seconds, and then it gets a similar error. With www.westernchristian.org as the domain, I get the error right away.

I read somewhere in the help that I need to add
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.www.westernchristian.org
the my DNS SVR record. I have no clue in the world how to do that. And it's probobly the problem.

YOUR HELP and speed IS VERY VERY VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thats why this is worth 500 pts.

Answer : Trouble Adding Secondary Domain Controler

Should be ok, at least everything I have read says it will. I guess we will both find out. dcpromo promotes a member server to a domain controller This is a site I refer to a lot, do not let the name throw you http://www.petri.co.il/howto_install_ad_for_idiots.htm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us