Question : Trouble connecting wireless desk top to BT Hub

My daughters desk top pc (XP) used to connect wirelessly, no problem, to our BT Hub until I had to completely reset the hub owing to a fault. As a result the desk top pc no longer connects to the router but it can see the wireless router (full strength) and shows our wireless network name on the available wireless network list.
I have put in the correct wireless network key many times, but it refuses to connect.
All the other PCs in the house, including my laptop (wireless), see the router and connect to the internet perfectly.
The BT engineer on the phone during the fixing of the router, did change the router settings to preferred channel to 11.
I notice on the pc which can't connect that within the properties of the wireless network, that on my lap top the Network Authentication is 'WPA2-PSK' and on the pc the network authentication is 'WPA-PSK'
Greatful for any help. Thanking you in advance.
Peter

Answer : Trouble connecting wireless desk top to BT Hub

There is a difference between the encryption used for WPA (TKIP) and WPA2 (AES).

Kindly check whether the Data Encryption type is AES on your daughter's laptop (I assume the machine with WPA2-PSK is able to connect wirelessly to the Internet)

You can do this as follows: (I am again assuming that you are using Windows Wireless Client)

Right Click on the My Network Places Icon on the Windows Desktop and select Properties.
In the window that opens, right click the wireless network connection and again select properties.
Select the Wireless Networks Tab. Select Network Authentication as WPA2-PSK and Data Encryption as AES.
Re-enter the network key (twice)
Click ok and ok, once more.

You should be ready to go now, just disable and re-enable the wireless connection.

In case you are not using the Windows wireless Client, you'll have to tell us which client you are using (it will most likely be something that came with your wireless adapter).

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,
Sarang
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us