Question : Possible to make a Pre-Shared Key optional in Cisco Aironet 1231G

I have 7 Cisco 1231G Access Points in my warehouse. Currently they are void of any kind of security other than not broadcasting their SSID. Our current equipment on the warehouse floor does not work with any of the security protocols. However, we are slowly starting to replace these systems out with newer Windows CE devices. Is there a way to set up the access points with a Pre-Shared Key but make it optional. That way systems that do not support the PSK can still connect but newer system with the PSK can connect as well. This way I can configure the new systems as they come in with the PSK and not have to wait until they are all replaced and then have to go to each system and update them later.

Thanks,
Keith

Answer : Possible to make a Pre-Shared Key optional in Cisco Aironet 1231G

Spoke with Cisco about this and they say it can be done but each SSID must have it's own VLAN. You can then assign encryption to an individual VLAN rather than the entire radio. Here is a link to a white paper they sent me.....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us