Question : Limiting Bandwidth Via Threshold

Senerio:  Large VPN Enviornment with approx 3000 users

The number of users and sheer volume of data being transmitted is creating large overage fees with our ISP.

Here are my thoughts.

Most of this usage is abuse.  Not nessesarily from the users but from admins attempting to run jobs that would be better suited for a LAN based network.   At this time they are either unable or unwilling to chage these application to run efficently over VPN.  As in most cases the abuse is generaly limited to a small number of clients...however this group is dynamic.  The abuse will frequently max out our burstable WAN connection (which is causing the overage fees).

What I am looking for is a way to limit the bandwidth based on the amount of data that the user is moving.  Several ISPs are configured in this fashion (ie...DirecTv satellite,  after the user has downloaded 450 MB of data the connection speed is lowerd to 100kb).  This way only users that are "abusing" the system are limited.

We are using Cisco and Nortel VPN hardware...I am not opposed to using an "in line" solution via hardware or software.  However we are attempting to "fix" this issue with networking as it would be next to impossible to limit the applications.

Any suggestions?

Answer : Limiting Bandwidth Via Threshold

Here's one
http://www.filedudes.com/JDSoft_Bandwidth_Manager-download-40623.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us