Question : All network cards shown as "unknown" in XP

Running XP SP2 network cards are detected and drivers installed by the system but they come up as "unknown" in the device manager.  As a result, the drivers will not load.  It is not a busmastering issue as I have tried different types of cards (manufactured prior to and after busmastering became standard.  The motherboard is an intel p4 2.5 gig board).  The registry looks good.  It is like I have lost the category of network card.  I have tried uninstalling all network components and then reinstalling them.  I have also scanned for viruses and so on with Adaware pro and Mcafee viruscan.  Any suggestions before I reinstall winXP?

Dr. Z

Answer : All network cards shown as "unknown" in XP

You did say:

"cards are detected and drivers installed by the system but they come up as "unknown"

That means that the drivers are installed, the problem is that the system does not recognise the cards as matching the drivers..  This is why they are in the "unknown" category.....  It does not know that they are network cards....

It does not mean that Windows does not have a networking category, just that it does not like the drivers, or the cards...  You need to find out which it is...  

Hence a back to basics approach....  
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us