Question : Can I add a Router on another Router?

Comcast gave me a wireless router with only one output router. But I need to add more equipment e.g. I use broadband phone thru internet also.  I have another router with 4 ports but not sure
1. if I can add another router on one router?
2. Also I am unclear what will happen because this is wireless router and other other router is also wireless. Is it a problem having two wireless router in a home?
3. Can I disable wireless signal from one router. I dont want too many wireless signals in home. Where is setting to disable wireless signal in Belkin router?
4. What will be the difference if I use a simple switch and use ports for broadband phone adapter and one computer also. I think switch cannot assign different IP for phone adapter and computer.

Answer : Can I add a Router on another Router?

1. Yes. But it ranges from painless to pita, depending on which hardware combinations and addresses they use.

2.Not really. As long as they use different Channels and don't need all devices to see each other. Usually you can just disable wireless on one of them.

3.Not sure about where on the Belkin, but most have it on the first page.

4. An unmanaged switch is probably the easiest way to go, That will just add ports and the Comcast with handle the IP addresses, if it is a Hardware router/modem.

My cable modem/router is a Software router (the Brighthouse server does it), so I put a Linksys router behind the modem and plugged the Vonage router and computers into that. Gives me a little better control of my LAN, and Brighthouse only has to handle the one IP addy to my router.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us