Question : Internet Access with Linksys RV042 and SBS 2003 Standard

Internet Access with Linksys RV042 and SBS 2003 Standard

I have a new customer who needs to setup their VPN using SBS 2003 Standard, a Linksys RV042, and Verizon, to work with their laptop and Treo handheld.  

The other consultants who setup the system connected all 2 computers, a printer, and the server directly into the RV042.  They were not able to get VPN function properly.  This is only one of many issues.  Since we will eventually setup VPN, its best to have DHCP controlled by SBS. Its also a best practice to have the VPN router between the server and DSL modem and placing the workstations behind the server on a different subnet.

Their current topology is DSL modem > Linksys RV042 > Server and computers.  At the end of the day, I would like to be: DSL Modem> RV042> SBS Server (2 LAN cards) > Netgear GS608 GbE switch > computers.

Below is some information.
RV042 IP -192.168.1.1, firmware version 1.3.7.4, Working mode is Gateway
Server internal GbE  192.168.1.100
Server 2nd GbE card for private LAN  192.168.20.100
Example computer IP 192.168.20.110
Operating Systems: SBS 2003 Standard, XP professional, XP 2002 home
Workstations are configured as workgroup computers
Server is AD& somewhat.  

The configuration on the RV042 and the server is so piece-meal, this simple task of changing the configuration challenging.  The immediate issue is internet access in the new configuration.  I cannot get a computer on the 192.168.20.0 subnet to browse the internet.  

Question 1: Ive setup this config on SBS 2003 Enterprise servers in the past without a problem.  Any insight? Suggestions?

Question 2: Can an XP 2002 Home edition computer join an AD domain?

Answer : Internet Access with Linksys RV042 and SBS 2003 Standard

Very welcome burthigh. Good to hear you have it working. Sorry I haven't been around much this week.

Getting a database to work over a VPN can be a problem depending on how you plan to use it. If the application is installed at one end of the tunnel and is accessing data at the other end of the tunnel, it probably won't work. Databases are too chatty, and result in poor performance and possibly in some cases corrupt data. We'll have a look at your new question to see the configuration.

The treo can use a VPN, but can also use RPC/HTTP, which is simpler and more efficient.

Cheers !
--Rob
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us