Question : Problems accessing shared folder over VPN

Hi

I am trying to access my network at work [gateway 192.168.23.1] from my network at home [gateway 192.168.0.1], via the VPN that comes with Windows XP.  I have a DLink DSL524T router  at work, which allows VPN and the relevant forwarding is set up OK to the required PC, which is on 192.168.23.10.  I have set up this PC to accept incoming calls and the VPN apparently opens and authenticates OK, but I cannot seem to access the shared folders on the work PC.  If I use the PC name, it's not recoginised, if I use the IP of the remote router [\\xx-xx-xx-xx\share], it starts to connect, but I then get a "you might not have permission..." error.  Both machines run Windows XP Pro SP3.  I have checked that the required folder is shared OK, with full permissions.

Another problem is that I cannot access my local network or internet when the VPN is connected.  I am aware that is is a common problem and I have unticked the "use default gateway" box in the advanced TCP/IP settings, but it still does not work.

The strange thing about all this is that I could do all these things OK until I replaced the Work PC, which was running Windows XP Pro SP2. because I needed a faster machine.

Any ideas?

Answer : Problems accessing shared folder over VPN

I have partially solved this problem.  I have set up the IRPStackSize to 50 and reset all sharing from scratch on the work computer and I can now logon OK over VPN.  I still have the problem with the VPN disabling the local network, which is probably why I get no response to fmarshall''s suggestions above.  I think the best thing would be to close this question and re-ask the VPN/network bit.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us