Question : Cannot join a domain and network id button is disabled

Hi Experts,

I'm having an issue trying to connect to a domain on a new computer.  I can ping other machines including the server in command window, but I cannot join a domain because the "member of domain option" is disabled.  Additionally, the network id button is also disabled.  The description of dialog says "you must install networking before you can change this computer's domain membership."

My system is Winxp pro SP2 and the integrated network card is a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (on MSI K8MM-V motherboard).  I've upgraded all drivers for this board and even removed and reloaded all protocols and services from the network card.

Also very strange is that I can access the internet while on that machine.  I just cannot join a domain and can only change a workgroup name using one of the wizard tools.

Can someone pls help?  Thanks.

Answer : Cannot join a domain and network id button is disabled

I apologize but at this point I am stumped.
I did some Googling and you are not alone, but the only successful solution seems to be a clean re-install. I did find a suggestion where someone had the same situation but couldn't remove themselves from the domain. The suggestion was to try booting to the repair console and deleting all .pol and .pds files. However, although it was an accepted answer, there were no replies as to whether that worked. I also found a link concerning a hack to make the Media Center edition work. You could look at the registry changes to see how they might affect your machine.
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=2636

I'll keep thinking, but nothing to ad right now, sorry
--Rob

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us