Question : Cannot join SBS 2003 domain

This is the case:

I setup SBS 2003 on a server connected to a D-Link DSL wireless router. I kept the router as DHCP server. I assigned a static address of 192.168.0.100 to the server. The router (gateway) is using 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. I made the DNS on the server to point to it own address, I ran DCPROMO on the server and everything went smooth without any error. I double check all the DNS setting after that, and all went through accordingly.

I tried to join a domain from an XP Pro computer but it still came out with an error below:

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV)
resource record used to
locate a domain controller for domain HORRIGAN.COM.

The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.HORRIGAN.COM

For more information, click Help

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer : Cannot join SBS 2003 domain

Just to amend Rob's comments a little...

To connect a PC to the SBS domain, run up the Add Computer wizard on the SBS server first and add all of the computers. Then, on each PC, open the web browser and select http://sbs_server/ConnectComputer (note the capital letters, they are required). From the menu, select the PC to add (the list created from the Add Computer wizard).

Secondly, I would strongly recommend you let the SBS server run the DHCP rather than the router. SBS will then handle all of the allocations for dns, dhcp, Active Directory groups and policies etc. This is even more important if you decide you are going to run VPN's and the like.

Thirdly, I would change your subnet to something else. Almost every private network going has a 192.168.something subnet. Later, if you want to create VPN's you will need a subnet that is not used by the other end, so choosing something like 192.168.100.0 will improve your chances.

Fourthly, SBS is NOT windows 2003 as Rob points out. You should not have to run DCPROMO on the SBS install as it is all automated. Set the internal IP address of your router to 192.168.x.254 rather than .1 so it will not conflict with the addresses assigned by the SBS server then, when you run the configure internet and email wizard (CEIW) it will not cause you problems either.

Next point. The dns name you mention in your post, horrigan.com. Change the dns name to horrigan.local or something similar. I assume horrigan.com is the dns name you will want the outside world to connect to through the internet? Use horrigan.com on the outside but horrigan.local inside then you can have two zones. horrigan.local can be used by your inside networks using local ip addresses within Active Directory. reason?  How will you assign a dns record for www.horrigan.com? Will you put in the internal IP address so that your inside users can find it OK or will you put in the external IP address so that users on the internet can find it? Just my view but NEVER use the external dns name on the internal network dns. Here is an example of what I mean
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/SBS_Small_Business_Server/Q_21689801.html

The dns server on the SBS box should also point to itself for the dns entries and then in the Forwarders tab you would have the dns ip  addresses supplied to you by your ISP as resolvers. Doing the steps i mention above removes the need to put entries in the router for the internal dns.

Bottom line; reconfigure the install correctly; re-run the appropriate wizards and enjoy a great product and simplified IT life.

Hope this gives you a steer in the right direction. Sorry though that it means making a U-turn to start with.

Keith
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us