Question : How to make my wireless computer see the wireless network?

Hey -

This one is baffling to me.

I have 3 computers in the house:

New HP Desktop that I use as a network hub
6-month HP notebook that I travel with
Dell Vostro notebook that is my wife's computer

The two HPs are Windows 7 and the Dell is XP Pro.

I set up a wireless network and I have a wired Ethernet network in the house too.

The wireless works great on the HPs. (Networking on Windows 7 still a little shaky, but that's in another thread).

It did work fine on the Dell when originally installed. But now, the Dell doesn't even see the wireless network. It's almost like a switch has been hit to turn off the card. But it hasn't. When I take the notebook elsewhere, I can see the wireless networks that are available, but not connect.

So, I think I broke it by copying the Network setup to my jump drive (as windows recommends) and trying to install to the XP machine. Of course, I copied from my Windows 7 machine.

How do I reset the Dell wireless card to original settings - or something - to get the wireless ability back.

BTW, I've downloaded and reinstalled the card driver too.

Thanks,

David

Answer : How to make my wireless computer see the wireless network?

1) Right-click any network icon in the tray and choose Open Network Connections

2) Select the wireless adapter under LAN or High-Speed Internet

3) Click Change settings of this connection in the Network Tasks menu on the left

4) Click the Wireless Networks tab

5) Select your wireless network name from the list in the Preferred networks section

6) Click the Remove button

7) Click OK

Now you should be back in the Network Connections window.

Click View available wireless networks in the Network Tasks menu on the left.
Select your network from the list and choose Connect.

If it still doesn't show up, follow steps 1 through 4 again, then click the Advanced button... ensure you have one of the top 2 radio button options selected. i.e. NOT Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only
The bottom box in Advanced should be UNchecked, for security, also.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us