Question : join a domain from different network address

i have configured the win2k domain controller in the domain A which is in the network address 202.185.111.X

I then configured the winXp proffesional (which is in the network address 202.185.80.X )as a member of the domain A in the by editing the Hosts file, Since i didn't have Wins on my network.

After logging on in the client system as a member of the domain A and when i tried to acces the domain controller by providing the same username and password as the login.

i received a error" The username you typed is the same as the username you logged in with. That username has already been tried.A domain controller cannot be found to verify that username"

Answer : join a domain from different network address

Did you join the Windows XP computer to the network. You will not be able to log on unless you join the computer to the domain. How did you configure your domain controller? You promoted it to a DC and installed AD and configured it, correct? What are you using for name resolution on your network? You should set up WINS and DNS on your DC, along with DHCP, and pass the address of the WINS and DNS server to the client machine upon boot up. Once you have gained name resolution, you need to make sure that the XP machine has been joined to the domain. To do this, make sure you can ping the DC by name. Next, right click on My Computer icon and choose properties. Then you will go to the Computer Name tab, click the change button, highlight the radio button that says domain, type in the domain name of your domain, then click OK. You will then be prompted with a user account that has the ability to join the computer to the domain. You can either use the domain admin account for this or put a user in the account operators group. Let us know how you make out.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us