Question : Simple Network Disk Space Monitor

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a very /simple/ way of tracking free disk space on all of the servers we manage.  Many of these servers are on our local network under a single Windows 2000 Domain, but there are also a number that we connect to via WAN links that are on different Windows domains.

An ideal solution would be some sort of software we could install on a local machine that would poll each of the servers and retrieve their available disk space.  We've tried some software like this but seemed to have difficulty - possibly due to varying logon credentials or routers preventing the software from polling the servers correctly.

We would also be willing to use some sort of system that involved installing a client piece of software on each server.  This could either send an email or report to a central application if a drive fell below a certain amount of free space.

We have looked around, and a lot of applications are way overkill for such a simple task.  We just want something to glance at so we know if there are drive space issues.  No in depth charts or reporting necessary.

Any ideas are welcomed and greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Answer : Simple Network Disk Space Monitor

Here's a solution that closely matches what you asked for: Use a Scheduled Task to run a Windows Scripting Host script that uses the FreeSpace property of VBScript's Scripting.FileSystemObject object to get the amount of free space on remote drives.  This does not require installing anything onto the remote servers.  A super-simple option for your output would be a text file that lists the remote drives and the free space on each.  It would not be much more complicated to test if the free space drops below a certain threshold, and then perform a special action in that case.

Let me know if you think this might meet your needs and I can post the code along with some instructions for how to implement it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us