Question : RRAS Problem; can't connect to Windows 2000 PPTP server

i am having a RRAS problem where I can't connect over the internet to one of my client's Windows 2000 RRAS server.  The server is sitting behind a DLink router on which I have opened up port 1723.  The internet connection is TW Roadrunner cable modem and is working fine.  When I try to connect, I get the following error:  

Error 678  There is no answer.

I also get this in the Event Viewer:  

Event ID: 20082
Source: RemoteAccess
The Remote Access Server could not reset lana 0 and will not be active on it.

The weird thing was that right after I initially configured the RRAS server, I was able to connect one time; and only once.  

The other thing is that when I configured the options, I selected the No Internet Connection option because we only have 1 NIC in the server.  When I tried to select the NIC, i got the following message:  

You have chosen the last available connection as the internet connection. A VPN server requires that one connection be used as the private network connection.

I have tried disabling and reenabling the RRAS server via the MMC snap-in interface but nothing has helped.

What am I doing wrong and what can I check?

Answer : RRAS Problem; can't connect to Windows 2000 PPTP server

A similar issue was reported recently on a Watchguard firewall. A simple firmware upgrade resolved their issue. Is the Dlink up to date?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/support/ra_ts5.mspx
Microsoft report on error 678. I'll see if I can find something else in the meantime
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us