Question : DNS, displaying error, DNS reinstalled but giving same message after reboot.

Funny things started happening on our network, Roaming profiles not being found then Outlook asking for authentication all the time. Exchange is on a differnt server to the issue but is a BDC.

DNS displaying this message in the event viewer

The DNS server encountered error 9002 attempting to load zone finditfundit.local from Active Directory. The DNS server will attempt to load this zone again on the next timeout cycle. This can be caused by high Active Directory load and may be a transient condition.

Then this message in the event viewer

The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-020800E0, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data -1017". The event data contains the error.

I have re-installed DNS but did not fix, Can anyone help as I dont realy want to move Fsmo to another server.

James

Answer : DNS, displaying error, DNS reinstalled but giving same message after reboot.

To clarify the reason for my question, and the response :)

> Not sure about the second quote  its an AD integrated zone so it replicates with AD
> which, I think by default is every 3 minutes

I mean you have three options for the scope Replication in Windows 2003 DNS. All DCs in the AD Domain, all DNS Servers in the Domain, all DNS Servers in the Forest.

If all DCs in the AD Domain is selected it stores the zone in a System Folder which can be accessed via AD Users and Computers (View / Advanced Features).

For the other two, it holds the zone data in either of DomainDNSZones or ForestDNSZones, these are separate naming contexts that site beside your regular directory partition.

Knowing which one it's in makes it easier to provide instructions to flush it out and recreate.

Intersite replication interval is 5 Minutes by default in 2003.

Moot point now of course, but wanted to say why I asked :)

Chris
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us