Question : Off-Site Backup

I am running Microsoft SBS 2000 with > 100 GB of storage and wish to perform routine backups to another off-site server connected thru a VPN tunnel.

I am looking for an off-site backup solution with the following properties:

1) Ownership - I would like to purchase the software outright and not pay a subscription.

2) Ability to make complete backups of the system - should be able to restore entire system in the event of a catastrophe.

3) Ability to backup Exchange - This ability should both back-up the databases, and the individual folders, both public and private, so that individual folders and messages can be selectively restored as well as complete system restores.  AFAIK, this application level backup is usually done thru the MAPI interface.

4) Ability to backup folders - This software should be capable of backing up any file/folder accessible on the network.

5) Decent interface - Currently we are using EStore's Vytal vault product and appreciate the easy-to-use interface.  Again, something that allows full and incremental backups to an off-site server should be able to browse the backups and selectively restore files, directories, and system.

Clarifications:

The software should run on NT server or 2000 Server.  If there are Open Source alternatives that also backup Exchange at the application level, these would also be strongly considered.  Anything that comes packaged with hardware would also be considered.

Mirroring is not really what we want as sometimes files are mistakenly deleted.  

There are a plethora of off-site backup subscription services out there.  The good ones pretty much do the same thing as any other good one.  What I was hoping to do was lower our recurring expenditures.  Currently, we are only backing up mission critical data off-site at a cost of around $200/mo.  This is a little high in my opinion.

It seems that there are many backup software companies (e.g. Veritas) that make backup software that does what we want.  However AFAIK, most of them only backup to tape and will not backup to the network.  Also, they must be compatible with SBS 2000.

Finally, if you have professional experience with any particular solution please include it.  Of special concern is the ease of use of the interface.

Please ignore the below lines.
off site, off-site, offsite, network, backup, NAS, SAN, RAID

Answer : Off-Site Backup

Have you looked at CA's Brightstore products?
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/SubSolution.asp?ID=312

They have a solution specifically for SBS..
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=3375
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us