Question : Remote Access solution for multiple users

This question may not be extremely difficult for you experts out there, however I am looking for a complete step by step solution with details, no exceptions.

I need to setup 10 users to connect to a Windows machine over the Internet.

Here are the details:

1. All 10 user machines have high speed web access from their homes.
Six users use cable high speed connection and four have ppoe high speed  connection (telephone company based).
The following are the operating systems of the 10 machines as follows:
Win XP Pro = 7
Win XP Home = 1
Win 2000 Pro = 1
Win 98SE = 1

2. The eleventh remote machine that all users need to connect to is a Win XP Pro, P4, 2.8 ghz machine with a 200mb HD, 512mb ram, etc.   This machine is located in an unattended office. This machine will be connected with high speed.  I will wait to see what the solution recommends. i.e. Should I order cable high speed or telephone company high speed.  Please provide  reasons why we should pick one kind of connection and not the in terms of advantages/disadvantages for this project.  I am open to suggestions and will follow-up and order the high speed connection as suggested in the accepted answer.
I will call this machine pc # 11 for easy reference.

3. All users need to remotely access pc # 11 and do the following:
(a) Update an accounting program running on pc # 11
(b) Update Word, Excel docs and Access database that exist on pc # 11
(c) Take control of pc # 11 desktop to do maintenance, backups, etc. of files on pc # 11
(d) Reboot pc # 11 remotely if needed

4. I am not sure which is the best option to use, i.e. VPN, VNC, or other technology.

5. I need to know how to configure pc # 11 and the others to make this connection.

6. Multiple PC's will be connecting to pc # 11 simultaneously to perform above mentioned work.

7. All Win XP Pro 11 machines have SP2 installed.

Thanks

Answer : Remote Access solution for multiple users

Hi again and sorry for my late response.I was a way from office (and Internet access) for a while).

Regarding your question now.
I have a similar situation. An accounting program in a company where data entry is done localy (from users on the LAN in the company) but there is one remote user who needs to print updated documents getting data from the accounting application.
I made the VPN setup but when the remote user tried to run the application (installed on his laptop) he had a very long delay.That was brcause the application was running a run-time part localy on his laptop but was trying to get other application parts (like menus, security etc) from the server in the company. So I solved the problem by uninstalling VPN connection and using Terminal Sevices to remotly control a pc in the company but I redirected the printer to his laptop.So he run the application on a pc in the office but printing is done from  his laptop. That small story was just to point that the correct decision depends on the architecture of your accounting program. For example : (I will quote your questions)

>Are you suggesting execution of this program on user's own PC ?  If yes, then what about data entries into the accounting program.  Will the accounting database that resides on PC # 11 get updated? How?  

This is a good option, however you must know if the application can be set up to support this.Let me explain my self : Let's say that you can configure your application with a custom database path no matter where the application runs. You can, for example, have an application running on your pc but it updates databases existing on file server.

>Additionally, the accounting program's main EXE file alone may not necessarily be adequate to successfully run the the accounting program on a user's own pc. Does that mean each user will need to install the accounting program on their own PC's?

Yes. You ALWAYS have to follow the installation procedure of an application in Windows. Installation procedure copies necessary files on the computer, registers componets used by the application, make registry settngs and many more.

>I will also need step by step instructions on configuration of VPN on PC # 11 and other PC's, one of each OS type as mentioned in the original question.  Do you think it is possible that you can provide them?

I will not post the instructions, but I will give you some links where you will find everything you need, plus screenshots  which will hekp you more.If you have any problem please let me know.

- http://support.bulletproof.net.au/vpn/wXP/index.shtml    (Configuring Windows XP VPN Connection)

- http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/netadmin/0,39035505,39050037-39000223c-1,00.htm (Accept incoming VPN connections with windows xp)
Two tips for this :
When you reach step 7 (Figure D) DO NOT select anything, just click next.
On  step 9 (Figure F) you have to tick the users that you have add on PC #11. Have a look at my fisrt post topic #5 where I say that you have to add the users that use pcs #1 - 10.

-  http://support.bulletproof.net.au/vpn/w2k/index.shtml (Configuring Windows 2000 VPN Connection)

> And on that note about VPN setup instructions, will the VPN setup on PC # 11 be different than the VPN setup on connecting machines?

Yes. PC#11 will accept incoming connections while PCs #1 -10 will connect on it.

- Stamatis
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us