Question : Why my roommate gets higher bandwidth than me when we're sharing the same internet access?

Hi, I subscribe to watch stream video from Taiwan.  I need 2000kb connection speed to watch video smoothly.  The Taiwan tech support ask me to test my connection at http://speed.anet.net.tw/result.php (press ctl+F5).  They said this is the connection speed to watch and not what I test in the us, which I can get several megs and still get very poor video quality.
I asked my roommate to test at the same url and he get over 2000kb every time.  I then connect to his internet but I'm still getting 800 kb while he consistently getting over 2000kb.  
He is directly connected to his DSL internet service.  I connect with my laptop via wireless.  Would this make the difference?  Is there a way to fix this problem?  Either I can stay with Charter's isp or with my roommate is fine.  Either one I am getting very poor bandwidth to Taiwan,
I have XP pro 2002 with sp3.  I think my roommate is running on Linux.

Answer : Why my roommate gets higher bandwidth than me when we're sharing the same internet access?

Wireless can make a difference.  Did you try using his connection with your computer's ethernet port?

The computer specs can also be a factor.  Processor, available memory and its speed, free HD space, and even the video card will be big factors.  The other expert mentioned tuning Windows but I would look at these others as well.

Let me know if you have a question or how this helps.

bol
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us