Question : Find Missing IP address

We use a lot of network-attached devices. This includes, printer sharing, firewalls, switches, CD sharing towers etc. They all have an on-board administration firmware accessible via an IP address. Most of them have a MAC address printed on the box.
It happens on occasion that someone miss-records or forgets the IP address of a device.

I was thinking that I could use arp to create a temporary association between the know MAC address and an arbitrary available IP address.
Then I can get to the management software and see what the units real IP is and either use it or change it after clearing the arp cache.

I tried it on a WebRamp 700s firewall and it did not work. Should this work? Is there another way of discovering a missing IP address?

Answer : Find Missing IP address

Ehm, the main issue here is "as advertized"....

Yes, it seems to work (for me at least :-) as long as the prerequisites I mentioned are met.
This boils down to: No, this tool can not be used as a "general purpose MAC-pinging tool, where the subnet is unknown". But, with a rather simple shell wrapper it can.

This means that this tool also falls into the category "can-do, but (at least slightly) not feasably" from your perspective.

The -0 option *should* have worked, but it didn't for me. Probably because of the "remote gadget" not wanting to play.... This is the crunch of the matter, to "ping" the MAC, both "pinger" and "pinged (pingie :-)" has to cooperate, and it seems not to always be the case.

Try it, you might get lucky ;-).

-- Glenn
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us