Question : Slow Printing to Novell Queue via JetDirect

Have recently upgraded a network structure and installed SBS and new Dell PC's running Windows XP SP2.
For logistical reasons have retained Novell 3.12 as manufacturing software runs on this platform, and at this stage cannot be change/upgraded.
When sending a print Oki Microline 5521 via JetDirect print server, it takes 30 seconds for the first page to print. All other pages on same print run follow immediately. Next print sent, also takes 30 seconds for first page to print.
On existing PC running Win 95, same print takes only 5 seconds to print.

Use this capture command to set printers:-
net use lpt1: /delete
net use lpt2: /delete
net use lpt3: /delete
net use lpt1: \\mid_steels\emmag
net use lpt2: \\mid_steels\emmag
net use lpt3: \\mid_steels\emmag
net use /persistent:no

Use this command to start the Novell based app:-
C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com /c i:\login\xp_start.bat

XP_Start.bat is as follows
ECHO OFF
CLS

CD\APPS\MENU
SYSRUN0
exit

Sysrun0 is as follows:-
sysmen0
syscomm
ENDCAP

Sysmen0 and syscomm are exe files within the Novell app.

Can you help me find a solution to this print problem please?

Thanks

Answer : Slow Printing to Novell Queue via JetDirect

To start, the obligatory "you have NetWare 3.12.  Novell is a company, not an OS."

That said, I suspect that your issue is because you're using WinXP now instead of the more straight-forward Win95 you had been using.

The other part of your problem is you are using Net Use, which means to me you're probably using the crapware(tm) client that comes with Windows.

If you install the Novell Client32 - CUSTOM, not "typical" selecting only IPX, only bindery (not NDS) and no optional functions, your connectivity from Windows to NetWare will work much better.  Then, use the normal NetWare CAPTURE command, rather than NET USE (which is for Windows NetBIOS printing, not for NetWare printing).

Then, in the XP printer object that you must have in order to print from XP, set it to "print directly to printer" instead of using the local spooler at all.  NetWare printing is much more efficient than Windows printing.

Too bad it sounds like you went with Microsoft SBS instead of Novell SBS, but that has little to do with your printing issue.  It's the use of the local Windows spool instead of printing directly to the NetWare queue.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us