Question : Setting up a home network using Windows Server 2003 and XP for use with MCSE

Hello,

I am tring to setup a home network using the guides in the Microsoft and Sybex MCSE Exam 70-290 Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment to enable me to use as a learning aid with the books.

I have successfully made the Windows Server a domain controller and DNS server following down to the letter the guides in both books.  The problem I am encountering is joining the domain with the XP PC.  Below is various setups I have used:

PC (XP)                                                                                    Windows Server 2003
      | Local Area Connection 1                 Local Area Connection 2  |                           | Local Area Connection 1
      |                                                                                         |                          |
      ------------------Switch-----------------------------------------------                            ---------------------------- ADSL Internet Connection

PC (XP)                                                                                    Windows Server 2003
      | Local Area Connection 1                                                                 | Local Area Connection 1
      |                                                                                                     |
      ------------------Switch---------------------------------------------------------                            

I am a complete novice when it comes to implementing a network of any kind and really need very simple instructions on how to achieve this and the equipment that is needed.  Would I need to purchase a router if I was to implement a home network with a default gateway?

All help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out.

Regards,

Andy

Answer : Setting up a home network using Windows Server 2003 and XP for use with MCSE

And one other thing..  did you configure your Server to serve DHCP requests?  this is another area that might be looked at...  this is a pretty good link on how to set one up with 2003..

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/DHCP_Server_Windows_2003.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us