Question : Why this mail appeared "Delivery Notification: Delivery has timed out and failed"

The sender recieved a Delivery Notification see the details below:

[mailto:postmaster@dxb-mail2sms.emirates.net.ae]
Sent: Monday, 07 September, 2009 12:30 AM
To: xxxxxxxx (Sample Email)
Subject: Delivery Notification: Delivery has timed out and failed

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <004201ca2dec$aeea4180$0cbec480$@ae>
  Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:49:37 +0400
  To:  xxxxx (Sample email)
  Subject: FW: FW: This Has Been Voted The BEST Email Of The Year!

Your message is being returned; it has been enqueued and undeliverable for
1 day to the following recipients:

Recipient address: [email protected]
  Original address: [email protected]
  Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1 day

Delivery attempt history for your mail:

Mon, 07 Sep 2009 00:16:20 +0400 (GST)
Temporary failure

Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:46:20 +0400 (GST)
Temporary failure

Then there is a attached txt file to the returned email to sender see below data:

Original-envelope-id: 0KPH00G2THY2NT00@dxbsmail2.emirates.net.ae
Reporting-MTA: dns;dxb-mail2sms.emirates.net.ae (gsm.net.ae)

Original-recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Final-recipient: rfc822;[email protected]et.ae
Action: failed

But the message of the sender sent succesfully to a receiver why there is still delivery notification stated above to the sender.

We use Microsoft OUTLOOK 2007 we dont have EXCHANGE SERVER we just only use the console of our provider here in UAE.

Answer : Why this mail appeared "Delivery Notification: Delivery has timed out and failed"

When you send an email, you are using a MUA (mail user agent) (like Outlook) which delivers the email to a mail delivery agent (MDA) (like Exchange or Sendmail). which does the actual work of figuring out how rto deliver the email, and making the connection to the MDA at the other end.

If, when the MDA at your ISP is not able to deliver the email on the firsttry, it puts it into a queue and trys sending the email at various intervals until it gets delivered, or it cannot be delivered at all.

There is a protocol involved where the sending system says "Hello", the receiver says "I'm here' send the message", and message is sent, and the receiver says "I got it!". Sometimes, due to some network or system problem, the message gets sent, but the sender never receives the "I got it!". So the recipient gets the message, but the sender doesn't know it, and continues to retry sending the message.

It looks like your ISP didn't start trying to deliver the message for 33 hours (maybe your the user's desktop didn't connect to the ISP for that period). On the first try, the scenerio I mentioned may have happened and the message really got delivered but got requeued. At the 2nd try, the 1 day timeout was seen when the message was processed out of the queue and the NDR (non delivery message) was returned.

It was my experience when I was a corporate postmaster, that many Exchange systems had mis-configurations which could cause timeouts before the "i got it" was sent although the message was really delivered to the recipient.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us