Question : How do I locate my existing SSL certificate/private key from my website?

Hi,

I currently have a website hosted with 'company A' and am switching to 'company B'.

We're just about ready to go live and I was asked this question:

The data center is telling us that due to ARIN requirements,
we must submit the SSL certificates to justify the additional
IP addresses. I am submitting them now.

It looks like all we need is to obtain the public certificates
and the private keys (that's the important part) for the SSL certificates and we should be able to transfer
the SSL certificates directly to our server without having to use
a temporary certificate.
------------------------------------------------

Is this something that 'company A' would definitely have and be able to provide them? (they have been in contact with company A before, so Im wondering why they didnt ask them)

....or is it possible that the SSL could be on my local server (can I search for it by an extension like .ssl?)

If this is something current webhost/company A doesn't have, where can I find it and what will I be sending them (one ssl file?)... How do I locate the 'private key' to send them for each website?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Answer : How do I locate my existing SSL certificate/private key from my website?

If you don't have access to the server at Company A, then someone over there should be able to export it for you to a .pfx format.  That is as long as when it was installed it was marked exportable.  I would just get in contact with someone at Company A and ask them to export it for you and send it to you.  Make sure you ask them what the password is they used when they export it.  If they are unable to export it, then you will need to contact your SSL provider and get the cert re-issued.  To do this you would need to give the certificate provider a new CSR (Certificate Signing Request.)

Here is some info on how to export and then import a cert in IIS, if you or the hosting company is unfamiliar with the process:

http://www.isaserver.org/articles/exportsslcert.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us