Question : Network but no Internet

We have a a network of about 13 computers all running peer to peer through a Dlink switch. All the computers are set to static IP address. The computers share a dialup internet access with the computer directly connected to the dialup connection having a 192.168.0.1 IP address and the others 192.168.0.xxx and so on.

Everything was going well. Today one of the laptops we have on the network, running Windows XPsp2 crashed. I formated the drive and reinstalled the OS using the Compaq system restore disks it came with. I also reinstalled SP2. The computer connects to the rest of the network via a wireless connection through a Dlink router. The compaq can see the other computers and shares files just fine. I use twiga's Internet disconnect utlity and reports that the compaq laptop is connected to the dialup connection.

However, the only thing that does not work anymore, that was working be the crash is that the compaq can't access the internet or pop email account.

I have the Sp2 firewall turned off. Same anti-virus program as before AVG7. TCP/IP on the wireless NIC set same as before 192.168.0.40  subnet 255.255.255.0 and defaut gateway set to 192.168.0.1.

Any suggestions. Should I try sfc or chkdsk?

Your comments to provide a resolution would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

kawed

Answer : Network but no Internet

what is your DNS server ? it looks like the dns is not set correctly.

what is the ping tell us ? can you ping router, ping internet ip address, and finally ping www.google.com

let me know the result and i can pin point where is the fault
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us