Question : How to connect a cat5 jack?

I am a beginner in networking stuff and would like to get help with the following simple questions. I want to install network jacks onto the walls to set up a network between two rooms. On the cat5 jacks I have got, I've seen the arrangement of the colors wires as follows:

side where      side where
          wires in        cable plugs in
          (568B)          (568A)
          blue         | blue
          white/ornage | white/green
          white/brown  | white/brown
          brown        | brown

does this means that the wires inside the jack are arranged as on the right side(568A), and I just have to hook up the wires as on the left side(568B)? Or they are just simply two different ways I can connect them? And if I want to make my own cables to plug in these jacks, what should the arrangement of the wires on the cable plugs be? (568A or 568B).

I have also got some network jacks, on which I see 8 connectors in blue, oranger, black, red, green, yellow, brown, and white. Are these cat5 jacks? Are they going to work for my network at all?

Thanks.

Answer : How to connect a cat5 jack?

Usually if you're connecting to a router to a PC, you'd use a straight-through cable (no crossover anywhere).

The one exception would be if you (for whatever reason) wanted to plug into the "uplink port" (if your router has one). The uplink port is like a "built-in crossover" for connecting to another switch or hub - you'd only use the uplink port on one device or the other (or you'd have a double crossover, which is a straight-through).

Hub/Switch/router ---> PC : Straight-through
Hub/Switch/Router ---> Hub/Switch/router: crossover (once)
PC ---> PC : crossover (once)

Good Luck

Scott
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us