Question : Windows services are not able to access share Keep getting Error: Bad Network name \Device\NetWareRedirector\<wbr />Path\to\my<wbr />\file

Windows services are not able to access share Keep getting Error: Bad Network name \Device\NetWareRedirector\Path\to\my\file

Answer : Windows services are not able to access share Keep getting Error: Bad Network name \Device\NetWareRedirector\<wbr />Path\to\my<wbr />\file

In the example shown by the error message, the 60.20.10.1 would be the servername or serverIP and data would be the volume name.  Your "share" would be on volume data in folder Groups\Rimage.

I can't help wondering if the nw server has CIFS running, because your path appears to be a CIFS share path, where MTP_SNMP_1 would be the CIFS "netbios" server name and Rimage would be the share name...

If you're running CIFS in order to present a "share" to this application, then you shouldn't be passing through the NetWare Redirector - you should be using the native Windows NTLM redirector.

You might be able to "fix" this by specifying the CIFS servername\share to the Novell client as a non-NetWare resource, to force it to hand it off to the Windows redirector.   I think.   You'd have to add that UNC path to the "bad server name cache" server list in the Windows registry, and that's a list that has to be added from scratch, as it's not a reg key that's automatically created when the Novell client is installed.

If you pass this on to your NetWare guru, he or she should be able to determine if that's a valid path to take, and whether or not my analysis is correct.

If they want to go that route, I'll post instructions on how to add the server to the bad server name cache.  

This is all part of the UNC path filter function of the Novell client.  If a server isn't a known NetWare server, it will hand off redirection to the Windows client but if it's a known NetWare server, it'll handle the redirection.

Alternatively, instead of the \\cifsserver\share UNC path, try giving it the actual NetWare path so the NetWare redirector will find it where it belongs.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us