Question : Changing Start of Authority

Please help.

We had the primary server to go down about two months ago. One of the technicians because of being crushed for time put promoted a test system to primary. The SOA was changed and the operations master was changed. Now that the original system is back online, as you can imagine we are having a series of problems with recreating the original setup.

So, my question is the following how do we change the SOA and operation master back to reflect the primary server or shall I say how do we disable the test system from assuming the role of primary server. Also, how would changing the settings of Active Directory Intergrated to primary secondary affect things?

Oh and Win2000 server

Thank You

Answer : Changing Start of Authority

Only one DC in your domain can hold the Operation Master role, unless of course we are talking about child domains. As far as using AD integrated zones, that is what I would recommend without a doubt. Now that you have the original server back online, you can demote the other server that was promoted by mistake and transfer the fsmo role to the original server. You can also delete the resource records for the server that was promoted by accident since you will be taking that offline. Other than that you should be good to go.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us