Question : how to enable SMTP auth and configure to use same username and password as POP3

Hello Experts

I am having a situation setting up Samsung devices at work to send/recieve emails, recieving works OK however having problem in sending.

Upon speaking to BT I have been advise to enable SMTP authentification on the server and configure to use the same username and password as POP3.

We have STMP virtual server setup on windows 2003 server, and POP3 service to create mailboxes.

Please can someone advise how I go about doing this on my own?

Because there are already active email accounts configured on Outlook at work for the users, would this change have any impact on these clients?

Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
S

Answer : how to enable SMTP auth and configure to use same username and password as POP3

By default, all computers are denied relay access. Microsoft SMTP  Service does not allow computers to relay unwanted mail through the virtual  server. All computers are denied relay access except those that meet the  authentication requirements that are specified in the  Authentication box on the Access tab. If your virtual server is on the Internet, Microsoft recommends that you do not grant relay access. If you do, unsolicited mail may be propagated. To grant or deny permissions to relay messages through the SMTP virtual server, follow these steps: Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Properties.
Click the Access tab.
Under Relay restrictions, click Relay, and then do one of the following:  Click Only the list below.
Click All except the list  below.

Click Add.
Click the settings that you want to use, add the computers, the group of computers, or the domain that you want to specify as exceptions to the access setting that you selected in step 4, and then click OK three times.

full article here:
http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/78274/jsi-tip-6757-how-do-i-set-up-a-simple-mail-transfer-protocol-smtp-virtual-server-on-a-windows-server-2003-based-computer.html#7

*advertising removed by Netminder 25 July 2009*
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us