Question : configuring Linkysys router and IIS to work with DirectUpdate and DynDNS

Hello...

I'm running IIS server on XP professional.  I recently signed up with DynDNS.org and downloaded a copy of DirectUpdate (DU).  

DU is configured to connect to "localhost" and it works fine.  But when I enter the DynDNS hostname I have, I go directly into my router's admin page!!  

What do I need to do in order to get the DynDNS hostname point to my IIS websites?  I'm guessing I need to add an entry for DU in my router and have it forwarded to the IIS server, right?  I'm just not sure how to do that...I'm a novice at this :)

I'm not sure what ports to use in order to get forwarding to work right.  Is there anything else I need to do?

thanks for your help!

Answer : configuring Linkysys router and IIS to work with DirectUpdate and DynDNS

I don't know DynDNS, I guess it's a DNS server.  I tried one thing which was to configure a local DNS server that used nameservers (for example resolver1.level3.net).  I'd set my computer's DNS server (in TCp/IP properties) to my own computer.  My own DNS server would access the nameserver, (or is it a DNS server)...  

In Win2k it's Start->Programs->Adminitrative Tools->DNS Server...  Then right click DNS and have it connect to your computer I think...  Then make a Forward Lookup Zone with the information you have.  Try adding nameservers with the DNS that DynDNS provided you.

Example
Name                              Type   Data
(same as parent folder)    SOA   [6], z.domain., admin.domain

(same as parent folder)    NS   z.domain

(same as parent folder)    NS   resolver1.level13.net

(same as parent folder)    NS   resolver1.level13.net            
That's in DNS configuration in admin tools.

I hope it helps, I don't know the situation very well though.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us