Question : Recovering Active Directory

Experts,

I have been getting errors when I attempt to create a new group policy on any OU on my DC. The error states; “Failed to create new Group Policy Object. The Directory is corrupted and unreadable. The file or directory C:\Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please rn the Chkdsk utility.”

According to Microsoft KB, there are two solutions. To run chkdsk and to re-do the machine. I logged into Directory Services Restore Mode executed the chkdsk /f switch but it did not run. Than booted into the recovery consol using the CD and executed the chkdsk but received an error stating; “Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered and connected properly to your computer and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct.”

I am left out with the second solution. Before re-doing the machine, I figured I should test this scenario on a test server and workstation therefore installed AD on the test server and created objects than ran an NTBackup and saved it on the test work station. Than reformatted the server and installed AD and attempted to restore. But it did not restore AD objects.

Please advise.

Bobby,

Answer : Recovering Active Directory

i believe that restore has to be done on the exact machine that it came from.  to move the objects to your test server, check out the utility from microsoft called csvde.  it exports to csv allowing you to import again to another dc.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us