Question : Using NETDOM to rename PC, User Name cannot be found

I am trying to use NETDOM to change some our PC's names over our network. I found in another solution on EE a basic way to do this but have had to tweak it a bit to fit my needs. The way it is spelled out in the article didn't work for me.
(http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Microsoft_Network/Q_21653566.html)

I created a batch file "changename.bat" with the following:

NETDOM RENAMECOMPUTER %1 /NEWNAME:%2 /Userd:Domain\admin /PasswordD:* /UserO:localcomputername \administrator /PasswordO:* /force /reboot
pause

I enter the 2 passwords it asks for but I am getting an error " The user name could not be found.""The command failed to complete successfully."

The PC is running XP sp2 and the DC is SBS2003. My company has mulpitple locations around the state and I need to rename several machines at each of them. I can ping them and use RDC to log onto them with no problem.

Is there something wrong in the file? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, KMarcum

Answer : Using NETDOM to rename PC, User Name cannot be found

If the domain account cannot authenticate, I doubt the domain account will have the privileges to make the changes. Wonder why your domain account will not work. You mentioned "company has multiple locations around the state ", have you tried within the local LAN first ? If the Windows or any other firewall is enabled, try disabling on a test machine.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us